TROY – Miami County prosecutors will retry 25-year old Frank Bowen for the October 2014 homicide of 31-year old Joseph Graley III of Bethel Township, beginning November 16. It was August 4 that a jury found Bowen guilty of felony safe-cracking, but told the judge it was unable to agree on verdicts on the charges of murder, gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. Bowen, formerly of the Tipp City area, had been staying with his friend Graley when Graley disappeared in early October. Graley’s body was found covered with brush in the backyard of his Scarff Road home.
TROY – Former Miami County sheriff’s deputy, Tina Waymire, wins a benefits ruling. Waymire was fired in June by Sheriff Charles Cox. She applied for unemployment compensation but was denied due to just cause for termination. That determination was reversed on appeal, saying she had been discharged by the Miami County Auditor without just cause. The auditor’s office has until September 16 to apply for an appeal. Waymire says she plans to continue to fight for her job at the sheriff’s office.
PIQUA – The scholarship checks are in the mail. The winners were announced in December at the Buckeye Insurance Group Holiday Classic Basketball Tournament presented by WPTW and hosted by Piqua High School. The scholarship program was founded by Muzzy Broadcasting and Buckeye Insurance Group in 2013. One male and one female athlete from each of the opposing 2014 basketball teams – Covington, Lehman, Piqua and Russia – each receive $250 toward their education. Also receiving an award this year is a student recognized in 2013 who recently graduated. Rick Muzzy, President of Muzzy Broadcasting and WPTW Radio, says the goal is to grow the number of sponsors and ultimately increase the scholarship amount in the future.
2014 scholarship winners:
– Claire Sherman, Russia Raiders – attending University of Toledo
– Jacob Pleiman, Russia Raiders – attending Ohio State University
– Cassity Cain, Covington Buccaneers – attending Mount Vernon University
– Austin Lefeld, Covington Buccaneers – attending Ohio State University
– Hannah Went, Piqua Indians – attending University of Kentucky
– Tate Honeycutt, Piqua Indians – attending Adrian College
– Brooke Jones, Lehman Cavaliers – attending Bowling Green State University
– Nick Earhart, Lehman Cavaliers – attending Miami University
2013 scholarship winner (graduated in 2015):
– Heidi Cron, Covington Buccaneers – attending Ohio State University