TROY – 25-year old Frank Bowen will be retried on charges of murder, abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. A Miami County Common Pleas Court judge Tuesday, August 4, declared a mistrial. Bowen is accused of killing 31-year old Joseph Graley III and then hiding the body under a pile of brush in the backyard of Graley’s Bethel Township home. The new trial date still has to be scheduled. Bowen could be sentenced to as many as 18 months in prison on safe-cracking, the only charge with which the jury convicted him. That sentence won’t be handed down until a date is set for the retrial.
PIQUA – The Down the River, Down a Beer event happens once again this month in Piqua. The event allows residents to interact with the Great Miami River and try over 80 selections of craft beers. Proceeds from the event go toward a fund for a river steward program. Event organizers say the program will help to promote the river as a recreational, ecological, economical and fun resource. During the event, participants will be able to canoe, stand-up paddle board and compete in the canoe race. It will be held at Lock 9 Park on August 22, from 4-9 PM.
PIQUA – The scholarship checks are in the mail. The winners were announced in December at the Buckeye Insurance Group Holiday Classic Basketball Tournament presented by WPTW and hosted by Piqua High School. The scholarship program was founded by Muzzy Broadcasting and Buckeye Insurance Group in 2013. One male and one female athlete from each of the opposing 2014 basketball teams – Covington, Lehman, Piqua and Russia – each receive $250 toward their education. Also receiving an award this year is a student recognized in 2013 who recently graduated. Rick Muzzy, President of Muzzy Broadcasting and WPTW Radio, says the goal is to grow the number of sponsors and ultimately increase the scholarship amount in the future.
2014 scholarship winners:
– Claire Sherman, Russia Raiders – attending University of Toledo
– Jacob Pleiman, Russia Raiders – attending Ohio State University
– Cassity Cain, Covington Buccaneers – attending Mount Vernon University
– Austin Lefeld, Covington Buccaneers – attending Ohio State University
– Hannah Went, Piqua Indians – attending University of Kentucky
– Tate Honeycutt, Piqua Indians – attending Adrian College
– Brooke Jones, Lehman Cavaliers – attending Bowling Green State University
– Nick Earhart, Lehman Cavaliers – attending Miami University
2013 scholarship winner (graduated in 2015):
– Heidi Cron, Covington Buccaneers – attending Ohio State University